Sunday, July 21, 2013

#69 Calibrating color --don't even try

I use 4 LCD screens and none of them are calibrated. They all render color differently. Two of them I bought used and bruised --on purpose. The other two on Cyber-Monday sale. I like it that way because it allows me to see the range of aberation the client may see --wether it's for print or web projects. And as you know, I'm a cheapskate. Creativity is the inverse of dollars. C=1/$

I only have a letter-size b/w laser printer for business correspondence (as I said "invoices"). I don't proof in my studio any more. If I want to see it, for safety sake (rarely), I have it output on a weekly-calibrated digital printer at my favorite shop. I'm comfortable with my methods and know what to expect. Printing is not just an act of faith any more. :)

Most of the color problem is with the client and not your equipment. It's cheaper to "fix" the client. It can be as easy as buying and gifting them a Pantone fan for reference. I've done that. They love it. It works great for communications.






I see all screen calibration gadgetry as preying on the anxieties of designers. It's a human problem not a machine problem.

If you are going to spec Pantone and print it in 4-color CMYK then I recommend buying a conversion-shift swatch book (Pantone process color simulator $239 -color bridge). I bought mine used on Ebay. It was missing a few swatches but it only cost me $20. I then, in advance, show the client how the color will change when printed. They are shown side by side for comparison. see image below.

No comments:

Post a Comment