Tuesday, July 16, 2013

#44 Great logo. Bad name.




















The above logo is by my designer friend Karen. I said to her,
"The final art is beautiful. Thanks for showing it to us. You're a great designer. Now with that compliment said, I will now insult you. :)

The clients business name is a marketing positioning statement --not a name at all. "Customized Wellness and Nutrition." That is a mouthful to say on the phone. Her poor receptionist. I'd have corrected this flaw first. Too late now. Let sleeping dogs lie."

I use a vintage piece of obscure software (naturally) that combines word parts to create fusion nouns. It's called "NameMax" and runs on legacy Mac OS 9.1 operating system, circa 2001. Using "Wholesome" and "Health" categories, it just cranked out 2,940 name candidates. I'd guess about 1 percent will be relevant to this business. That's 29 names.

Here's some samples: TrimFresh, SunZeal, SoundPure, ProGood, PepIdeal, NaturPure, Naturance, FineClar, BodyPure, Naturia, etc, etc.

These neologisms (new words) are easier to remember and to speak. That doesn't mean they are legally eligible names. That would have to be checked next.

Karen did great with a client who was very unsure of herself. So my observation is mainly an "in-retrospect" "wouldn't it have been nice if ..." scenario. Hindsight.

I love the aesthetics of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment